East Grinstead Town

A London, Brighton & South Coast Railway model set in the Victorian era


2018: Displayed at the Historical Model Railway Society, at Midland Railway-Butterley, and operated on selected dates.





Related sites - Rowfant Grange - LB&SCR Scratch Builds


Local Projects – The Bluebell Railway Northern ExtensionBaron Beeching of East Grinstead


Member:  The Historical Model Railway Society and The Brighton Circle (see also their LB&SCR site)


Special Thanks to: Crawley Model Railway Society





East Grinstead is a Sussex market town that claims to have the longest continuous run of 14th century buildings in England. Between 1855 and 1967 it had three railway stations in succession, the last of which was built with high-level (east-west) platforms on a bridge over its low-level (north-south) platforms.


The first station opened in 1855 as a terminus to a branch line which ran from the main London-Brighton route at Three Bridges, seven miles to the west. In 1866 that branch was extended to Tunbridge Wells and the second station was built in a cutting along the north side of the first station. The old terminus became a goods yard until closed in 1967. When the third station opened in 1882 there was some local consternation at it being on a new site amongst the fields to the west of the town, although the second station did remain open for several months, no doubt regarded as the Town station. Despite being closed in 1883, the second station’s buildings were not demolished until 1908.


The model called East Grinstead Town is based on the first and second stations, and is operated as if the first station continued to be used for passenger traffic until 1883. At two-day exhibitions the programme is extended so that the second station is operated as if it stayed open until 1908. Kit and scratch built models depict stock from the late 1840s through to the early 1900s, thus covering a few of Craven’s 72 locomotive classes, as well as the less diverse but equally colourful offerings of his successors, Stroudley (1870-1889) and Billinton (1890-1904). Today, all that remains of the first two stations is the 1855 building. The line to the south closed in 1958, and to the east and west in 1967, at the recommendation of an East Grinstead resident whose daily commute was on the remaining line north. However, it’s not all bad news; the line to the south will re-open as an extension to the Bluebell Railway; the east-west line is now a by-pass taking road traffic away from the narrow historic High Street, and is named after the local resident responsible for line closure, as Beeching Way!


The third station was modelled some years ago by East Grinstead Model Railway Club but the layout has been dismantled. The main station building is sometimes exhibited at their annual show (photo).

Photo Gallery






Images labelled “[FS]” were compiled using CombineZM focus stack software.

Layout Specification




Scale: 4mm to 1ft

Gauge: 16.5mm using SMP track and hand-built points (00 fine).

Dimensions: Inclusive of storage yard, East Grinstead Town is 12ft long and 2ft deep.


The layout (plan) is not an exact model of the first two stations but retains the essentials of the first station’s track plan, with its separate passenger and goods loops, so that operationally it should be as correct as can be in the absence of a means of modelling horse shunting! However, the station plan has been mirrored north-south, so that its passenger platform is on the north side abutting that of the second (1866 through) station, and liberties are taken with the location of some of East Grinstead’s historic buildings. Other changes to the station include a repositioning of the 1855 station house from the south to the east of the station area; slight contraction from a correctly scaled 9ft long terminus, down to 8ft; and the single road loco shed is moved to the west end of the station, so removing one of the two facing three-way points which every arriving passenger train had to negotiate to enter the platform road. The preponderance of facing points, which would have been individually operated and lacking facing point locks, would soon have been regarded as unacceptable and the old terminus is only used for models of passenger trains comprised of four- and six-wheeled stock.


Horses and most figures were painted by a fellow member of the Crawley MRS.






East Grinstead has had two station sites, and three stations:


The third station is by far the best known, made famous by its unusual two-level structure, with platforms for the east-west line being built on a bridge over those of the north-south route, and hence being known respectively as “East Grinstead High Level” and “East Grinstead Low Level”.


There is an excellent aerial view (Anon 1998).


The 1855 plan is based on a map by Peter Winding (in Wood 1986); the other two prototype plans are based on a variety of sources.


Operating and Stock

Locomotives allocated to East Grinstead Shed:




Other locomotives with a specific association with the Three Bridges, East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells Route:



 No 58 under construction


Other locomotives, not (yet!) modelled are listed in LB&SCR Scratch Builds


At most exhibitions East Grinstead Town was operated as if the first station continued to serve passenger trains after the opening of the second, and the second after the opening of the third station. They are signalled in such as way that any period can be depicted between 1872 (we actually start 1866), when the most “modern” type of signal on the layout was first used, and 1908, when the second station was demolished and signals were being replaced by another new design.


The timeline, similar to that used on Rowfant Grange, is as follows:

·       Part 1: 1866 – 1883 [all exhibitions]

o   The terminus and through station are operated as passenger stations

§  1860s [from 1866]

·       Craven period (1847-1870), and earlier stock

·       Strictly, the model cannot depict a time before 1872, that being the first date when a notched distant signal was used (and it was some years before they were widespread); that little know fact will have to be ignored!

§  1870s

·       Craven stock remained common throughout the 1870s

·       Stroudley period (1870-1889) stock was phased-in during the 1870s, largely replacing Craven stock by 1880

§  1880s

·       Stroudley stock dominated the 1880s

·       Some Craven stock still used (but Craven locos all in Stroudley livery)

·       Part 2: 1883 – 1908 [two day exhibitions only]

o   The terminus becomes a yard; it ceases to take passenger stock, other than for storage; the signals in the terminus are set “off” and no longer used.

§  1890s

·       Stroudley stock is still much in evidence

·       Billinton (1890-1904) period stock now used, which included bogie carriages

§  1900s [to 1908]

·       Stroudley and Billinton stock still used

·       Marsh stock (1904-1911) introduced

·       Motor trains (1906 onwards) may operate


The stock is largely as my Rowfant Grange layout (and see also Scratch Builds web page).


During 2018 at HMRS, the operating sequence will be reduced to emphasise the use of the locomotives specifically associated with the branch, and possibly restricted to those built in the 1850s-60.


The locomotives are a mix of LB&SCR locos that I happen to have liked the idea of modelling, and some specifically chosen because they were known to have operated on the line. Those in the latter category are shown in bold in the following table. Nos 22 and 233 were actually allocated to the shed at East Grinstead, although it was probably little more than an over-night shelter, in which case coaling would have been carried out at Three Bridges or Tunbridge Wells (no coaling facilities are provided on the model).



Class dates


Loco dates









Jenny Lind (E.B.Wilson) 2-2-2




5 and 9 kit


Croydon 2-4-0




Scratch + parts








2-4-0 (long boiler)










Own etches + scratch


Small Single 2-2-2






Manning, Wardle 0-6-0




Scratch + parts






Own etches + scratch


Victoria 2-2-2


256 Victoria


Scratch + parts


B (Belgravia) 2-4-0


205 Kensington


EBM kit


A1 (Terrier) 0-6-0T


41 Piccadilly


Mixed kits + scratch


G Singles 2-2-2


325 Abergavenny


Scratch (part 3rd party)


E1 0-6-0T


100 Calvados


Albion kit


D1 0-4-2T


233 Handcross


SEF kit


A1 (Terrier) 2-4-0T


82 Boxhill


Mixed kits + scratch

Under construction

C1 0-6-0




Scratch (3rd party)


B1 (Gladstone) 0-4-2


198 Sheffield


Mixed kits + scratch


D3 0-4-4T


379 Sanderstead


Chivers kit


B2 4-4-0


320 Rastrick


Scratch + parts


E4 0-6-2T


469 Beachy Head


Stenning kit


I3 4-4-2T




SEF kit



Notes on locos associated with the Three Bridges – East Grinstead – Tunbridge Wells route:



For the benefit of operators, the operating sequence details are:


  1. Public side of flip chart sheets [images degraded to protect copyrights etc.]
  2. Operator side of flip chart sheets
  3. Tunbridge Wells end instructions





The 1855 terminus station is equipped with scratch built signals of types described in the 1st LB&SCR Rule Book (1856); the 1866 station has signals constructed using commercially produced parts (E.B.Models and Model Signal Engineering) as described in the 2nd LB&SCR Rule Book (1886). The use of these is summarised elsewhere (see Signals explained and signalling pages listed in Links).


Signals: Photo showing down home for 1866 station; up starter and distant arm for 1866 station (notched distant arm introduced in 1872); bidirectional signal for 1855 station, with one arm “cleared” into slot; double disc turnover distant signal for 1855 station. The latter two signals being inspired by a c.1870 view of Shoreham. Inset shows signal lamp produced on the Sieg C0 lathe.


The tall signal in the 1855 station is not at the stop position for arriving trains (home signal arm); drivers were expected to know the fouling positions of points and stop accordingly. Such signals were phased out in the 1880s, as were low platforms. Accordingly, the 1855 station is only operated as a passenger station up to a notional date of 1883. Passenger trains appropriate to 1890 - 1908 will be restricted to the 1866 through platforms.


Signals are operated using wire in tube, each with a simple Signal Operating Device or SOD (so called because they are just that to fit!) fitted to a Tortoise motor. The SOD is comprised of a short length of U-section brass that slides inside a square brass tube, soldered to a plate that fixes to the Tortoise motor (photo). A 2mm slot is milled through the plate and the brass tube (photo).


The only interlocking is between the distant arm and up starter signal that share a post in the 1866 station. The wiring diagram of the system used to interlock points and signals on Rowfant Grange shows the basic idea of using a relay and switches to achieve an interlock. However, Tortoise motors on East Grinstead Town are wired using half-wave rectified AC, although of necessity the relay still has to be provided with full wave rectification.


The model signal box on the 1866 through lines is based on an amalgam of several boxes from the 1860s, to a design known as Saxby and Farmer type 1b. These were typically mounted high on stilts and only differed from the earlier boxes in having walls to the locking mechanism floor, and the earliest examples (at least of type 1a) often had the signals mounted through the signal box roof. It is not known if East Grinstead actually had a box of this type, as the known box at this location (east box of 1882 High Level platforms) was of a later design (type 5, as built 1876 – 1898), although the line was presumably signalled from 1866.


The small hut adjacent the double armed signal in the terminus is modelled on photographs showing huts of this design adjacent primitive semaphore signals at locations such as Bexhill, Shoreham and London Road viaduct (Brighton); the Bexhill photo also shows a white painted telegraph pole adjacent the hut, suggesting that at least from the time block working was introduced, the hut contained some sort of signalling instrument for communication with other signalman. These early signals were probably always operated by a lever at the base of the signal post, rather than remotely from a proper signal box.







The 1855 station house still stands (then and now photos; note platform shelter at right-hand end of early photo). The 1866 building spanned the tracks (now Beeching Way) and was accessed from a bridge that carried London Road over the lines (photo of bridge today with a photograph of Holmwood Station ghosted over it to indicate the position of the building; Holmwood Station was built to an almost identical plan; Holmwood photo by N. Holliday).


Model buildings were constructed from embossed plasticard.


The 1866 station building was based on plans in Gould (1983). This building spanned the track with a clearance of 13’9”; more than adequate for 1866 but the model had to be raised slightly and even so, later stock barely clears the bridge!


Other buildings were based on photographs from which TurboCAD drawings were produced, based on known sizes of ground plan (from a map or from knowing that the original High Street plots were 33ft wide), or brick counts from photos of the buildings or their immediate neighbours. All the “London Row” buildings were also combined into a single plan to allow calculation of the slope (drawing). A member of the Brighton Circle who is a historic buildings consultant gave considerable help in the interpretation of building drawings and photographs.


Non-railway buildings were based on historically important East Grinstead prototypes, most of which remain. The main source of photographs being Leppard (2006). Those which are grade 2 listed all have photos in the Images of England web site showing their modern, often much altered, state.


The Old Pest House (photo of model) was based on a c.1950s photograph in Leppard (2006); now grade 2 listed (for modern photo see image 430918 in Images of England). It had ceased to be used as a place of quarantine by 1860 and was sold as a private dwelling in 1861; Pest Houses were the forerunners of isolation hospitals


The half relief buildings in “London Row” are, from left to right:

  1. Dorset House, 62-64 High Street (1705 façade on much earlier structure) (modern photo); based on an 1864 photograph by William Harding (little altered and grade 2 listed; see image 430568 in Images of England).
  2. No. 66 High Street (probably pre-1400) (modern photo); based on an 1864 photograph by William Harding (now much altered and grade 2 listed; see images 430635 and 430568 in Images of England).
  3. Crown House (Commercial Inn), 35-37 High Street (pre-1500) (modern photo); based on an 1864 photograph by William Harding (see his section in “East Grinstead Photographers E-L”) (now drastically altered and grade 2 listed; see image 430920 in Images of England).
  4. Literary and Scientific Institute, London Road; although not erected until 1888, this was an appealing basis for a model as it mimics an earlier style. It is loosely based on early 20th century photographs, including two in the “East Grinstead Photographers E-L” web page (see London Rd. postcard by Edgar Kinsey and the “William Harding returns” section). In 1890 a clock was added to the building and after demolition it was placed on a plinth by the London Road bridge over the railway (on right in modern photo). For many year the Literary Institute was William Harding’s place of work.


An important source of reference is the online edition of Hills (1906). There is also an East Grinstead section in an online history of The Weald.


Layout Construction





The baseboards are of a plywood box construction, topped with ply and cork. Foam insulation board was used for raised areas. Slopes were created with a sculpting plaster, supported by plaster bandage where necessary.


Track was SMP Scaleway bullhead track notched to represent 21ft track sections.


The 1866 inspection report (National Archives, MT 6/41/21) described the track as being in 21ft lengths with 8 sleepers per length. Plastic based code 75 rail was adjusted to fit this specification (as supplied, SMP track has 9.5 sleepers per 21ft length; Peco track has 12). A template (21ft track template) was made for this (if you wish to download this, then for 4mm scale print it on A4 and select “none” in the page scaling menu). Brassmasters fishplates were added.


Consideration was given to how points may have been timbered but given that I had already built these to standard C&L templates before I realised that early trackwork made very minimal use of long timbers on points (standard 10ft sleepers were used in an interlaced pattern, as far as practical), and that we do not know how points looked in 1855 anyway, I have decided to keep to “standard” point timbering. Most of the points were recycled from another layout. Furthermore, with Victorian overall ballasting (they used beach shingle), the timbering is barely seen anyway.


The layout is clipped to a frame (photo).


As with Rowfant Grange, the backscene is photographic and based entirely on local scenes. However, East Grinstead is not the rural market town that it was is the 1870s and therefore the bulk of the backscene had to be captured elsewhere. Views towards Highbrook, from just north of Horsted Keynes, proved a suitable basis for the background and these were stitched using Panorama Factory (v.1.6 © John Strait; see web site). Having prepared the main image, it was split into sections, each to be printed 8.25 inches high (A4) and in suitable lengths (up to about 2ft long). Some sections were first overlaid with street scenes based on photographs taken in London Road and the High Street. These all required to be edited to remove post-1900 features, converging verticals, heavy shadow and highlights, using Paint Shop Pro v.7.04; they included:



East Grinstead Station


Disused Stations website page http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/e/east_grinstead/index.shtml, with photo of the original station in about 1860


Southern Railway E-mail Group: https://www.sremg.org.uk/location/eastgrin_01.html


Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Grinstead_railway_station


BBC page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/content/image_galleries/east_grinstead_gallery.shtml?1, with drawing of high level station


The route to the south (Lewes and East Grinstead Railway) is now the Bluebell Railway


Visitor’s web site: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/


Technical web site: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/


Their page on the history of the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/chist04.html


Dr. Richard Beeching was a local commuter


BBC Southern Counties page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/content/articles/2008/10/24/beeching_feature.shtml


BBC news page: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8100961.stm, with photo of him at East Grinstead


Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/on-and-off-the-rails-britains-old-railway-routes-are-being-reclaimed-1029216.html?action=Gallery&ino=3, with photo of him at East Grinstead


The former route to the west of East Grinstead, to Three Bridges, is now a cycle trail called Worth Way


Worth Way cycle trail: http://metcas.me.uk/cycle/worth_way.html


Official Worth Way leaflet: http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/prow/pdfs/WorthWay.pdf


The former route to the east, as far as Groombridge, is now a cycle way called Forest Way


Web page: http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/countryside/walks/forestway/


The route between Groombridge and Tunbridge Wells is now the Spa Valley Railway


Web page: http://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/



A brief history: http://ukhrail.uel.ac.uk/glossary/sigs.html


The Signal Box web site: http://www.signalbox.org/index.php


Signalling Records Society: http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/


Signs and signals: http://www.railsigns.co.uk/home.html



British Railway Modelling


White, I.M. 2010. East Grinstead Town. British Railway Modelling 19(6): 62-67.




Anon. 1998. Aerofilms Ref H.1673. Bluebell News 40: 24-25 [an aerial view of the area around East Grinstead Station]


Anon. 2010. East Grinstead Station Guide. The Bluebell Railway. Edition 2.


Baker, T. & White. C. 2009. East Grinstead Station Guide. The Bluebell Railway. Edition 1.


Gould, D. 1983. Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells. Locomotion Papers 142: 1-64, Oakwood Press.


Hills, W.H. 1906. The History of East Grinstead, Farncombe. Online: www.sussexhistory.co.uk/history-east-grinstead/east-grinstead-history.html


Leppard, M.J. 2006. 100 Buildings of East Grinstead, Phillimore.


Marx, K. 1986. Handcross – a ‘D’ tank saga. British Railway Journal 2 (11): 71-76.


Spence, J. 1955. The first railway to East Grinstead. The Railway Magazine. 101: 461-467. Online: https://sremg.org.uk/RlyMag/FirstRlyToEastGrinstead.pdf


Williamson, A.G. 1955. The first railway to East Grinstead. The Railway Magazine. [follow-up to Spence 1955; full reference unknown]


Wood, P.D. 1986. How the railway first came to East Grinstead; summary of a lecture given by Mr. P.D. Wood to the East Grinstead Society on 17th March 1982. Bluebell News 28: 64-67.




Exhibitions attended while living in Surrey:


Crawley MRS Annual Exhibition, Horsham, Sussex, 16-17th April 2011; voted best layout!

Transport Exhibition at Martell’s Department Store, East Grinstead, 3rd September 2011

Tolworth Showtrain, 12th-13th November 2011; voted winner of the Showtrain Cup!

Tonbridge MRC Annual Exhibition, 18th February 2012

Epsom & Ewell Model Railway Club, 28th-29th April 2012

Rotary Model Railway Exhibition, Cranleigh, 22nd September 2012

Brighton Model Railway Club, 10-11th November 2012

Basingstoke & North Hampshire Model Railway Society, 9-10th March 2013

Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend, Horsted Keynes, 29-30th June 2013

Croydon MRS, 5-6th October 2013; voted best layout!

Uckfield Model Railway Club, 19-20th October 2013


Exhibitions attended since moving to Derbyshire:


Macclesfield Model Railway Group, Annual Exhibition, 14-15th March 2015

Midland RAILEX, Swanwick, 15-16th August 2015 (and more details at RMWEB page)

Rails@Rowsley, Rowsley, 26-27th September 2015; layout used as a base for operating LMS stock


Please note that there are no plans for this layout to visit further temporary exhibitions.


Census Data regarding East Grinstead Station


Free transcribed census data is available for each of the three periods of development of East Grinstead Station. These census data are given below but in summary:


The 1855-1866 station had a station master resident in the Station House (London Road end of Glenvue Road), employing a clerk and 3 porters. There also appears to have been a locally based platelayer, and a minimal train crew based at the station (driver, fireman, cleaner and guard). Note that there was only one guard despite the rule book appearing to require two per train. There was no signalman.


The 1871 census fits neatly within the period of the second station (1866- 1883) and will be consulted in due course, as will staff records (RAIL 414/770-784).


The 1881 census coincides both with the period of the second station (1866-1883) and with the building of the third station (1882-1967). The total staff compliment could not be determined but there were then two station masters, one based in Station Villas (by London Road so probably just the old Station House renamed) and the other at or near the new station site. The latter appears to have been a temporary appointment which probably ceased in October 1883 when the second station closed, and the master from the earlier site moved to the new site. No less than 8 men appear to have been railway engine drivers; presumably most drove the contractor’s locos on the new north-south route. The station staff still only included one fireman and one guard, but there were now two signalmen and a shedman. There was also a “station bookstall lad” implying that the second station had a bookstall.


The 1891 census provides a picture of the early staffing of the third station (1882-1967), which then had two guards and two drivers, but still only one fireman. The residence of the Station Master was now on the third station site and the number of signalmen was 4. It is not known what use was being made of the old station house/villa, which was probably just numbered into the sequence of Glenvue Road (the two drivers lived at 56 and 59; Henry Baker at No.56 was a lodger; George Goring at No.59 lived with his family; perhaps that was the old station house?). It is possible that the driver who was merely lodging was not permanently based at East Grinstead.


The loco recorded as being allocated to the single road shed at East Grinstead from 1883 onwards for many years was D1 No. 233 Handcross (model). Its driver was known to be George Henry Collins (born c.1860) (British Railway Journal 1(11): 71-76), from 1883 to 1910. However, he is conspicuous by his absence from the census extracts detailed below. At the time of the 1881 census he was a fireman, boarding with a signalman, at Frant (Tunbridge Wells); in 1891 he lived with his family in Three Bridges High Street. However, in 1901 he did live in East Grinstead. Clearly the story of what “lived” at the East Grinstead shed from 1883 is a great deal more complicated than simply saying it was Handcross driven by George Collins.


The shed probably dates from 1855 so we would expect it to have had a use from the start. At the time of the 1859 timetable the line was operated by one-engine-in-steam and the first working of the day started from East Grinstead at 0500h. In typical Craven fashion a loco was “allocated” to the route, namely No. 22 (model) from 1855 to 1866; it would appear it must have been allocated to the East Grinstead end of the line, and presumably its driver was Randolph Brown.


In 1863 Craven allocated 0-4-2ST No. 167 (model under construction) to the route, then in 1864 small single No. 24 (model). In 1866 Manning-Wardle 0-6-0 No. 219 (model) was used as a ballast loco in the building of the extension to Tunbridge Wells and then apparently allocated as the goods loco for the extended route. Other locos were also recorded on the route but no others were known to be specifically associated with it (see notes at end of LB&SCR Scratch Builds page).


1855 – 1866 station


The 1861 census listed at least the following railway staff and associates based at East Grinstead:


Station Master: Peter Nesbitt, residing at Station House [next to London Rd. and Station Hotel] with 2 visitors


Engine Driver - Randolph Brown [London Rd. with family]

Fireman - William Packham

Engine Cleaner - James Davenport (son of Guard)

Guard - James Davenport (father of cleaner)


Clerk - George Norman

Porters - William Argent, Abel Shoulders, Edward Walder,

Platelayer’ wife - Sarah Butcher (presumably Mr. Butcher was somewhere down the line that night)

Carriers (probably not LB&SCR staff) - William Payne, and his son Thomas Payne


1866 – 1883 station


The 1871 census is not yet transcribed into FreeCEN. Individual names can be looked-up in Ancestry.co.uk:


Randolph Brown had moved to Tunbridge Wells

William Packham had also moved on

Both James Davenports had moved to Tunbridge Wells


Several George Mitchells in East Grinstead and Forest Row.


The 1881 census (searched from a CD of transcribed Sussex data)


Station master – George Mitchell, residing at Station Villas [next to London Road and Station Hotel] with his wife and 2 daughters; Walter J. Judges, only 26 years old, was also listed as a Station Master, residing in Station Road [next to a group of hawkers one side all in “Tent Caravan Logs Hath”, and the other way the rest of Station Road]


Engine drivers - Edward Clarke [High St. with family], Harry Lane [boarder], Robert Beckenton [boarder], John Botting [Cemetery Rd. with family ], James Eagle [Cemetery Rd. with family], C.J.G. Ratcliffe and brother J. William Ratcliffe [Glenvue Rd. with family], George Goring [does not say railway but see 1891; London Rd. with family]

Fireman – Henry Steeds

Engine cleaners – Frederick Weston

Engine man – Robert Beckenton

Guard – John Mason [also 1891]


Shedman – Arthur Pottle


Signalman – James Agate, Richard Hockham


Other railway trades noted were, Station bookstall lad (William Payne, son of Thomas Payne, carrier) [a family named Payne also ran the Station Hotel, London Road]; there were also railway carriage and wagon examiners.


East Grinstead could not possibly need so many drivers. Perhaps most were operating contractor locos for building the north-south route; some may have been “passed fireman” elevating their position in the census return.


1882 – 1967 station


The 1891 census was less consistent in the description of occupations and so a simple search on any one word such as “railway” was insufficient to yield a meaningful list.


Station master – George Mitchell, residing at Station House [between Grinstead Lane and Glenvue Road, furthest end from London Road] with his wife and 2 daughters


Engine drivers – George Goring [also 1881; at 56 Glenvue Rd. with his family] and Henry Baker [boarded at 59 Glenvue Rd.]

Engine fireman – James Knight

Engine cleaner – Frederick Scott

Two guards – John Mason  [also 1881] and William Thomas


Shedman - Joseph Hollingsworth


Significantly, there are now 4 signalman, as well as at least one of each of the following: booking clerk, ticket collector, inspector, signal porter, ganger, gate man, labourer and carman.





Contact Details:

E-mail: early_lbscr<at>btinternet<dot>com



Text and photos copyright.