This web page is intended as a resource for volunteers restoring this carriage at The Bluebell Railway. Some notes are also provided that will be of wider interest, notably to members of The Brighton Circle. See also carriage's page on Bluebell Railway web site.
Note that most photos of the carriage are not presented here as they are only of use as a reference set for the re-assembly of the carriage after each part has been repaired or replaced.
Compartments: 5; all third class; diagram 44
Withdrawn: May 1918
Unlike earlier Stroudley carriages, the glazing of the quarterlights is retained behind bolection mouldings, a feature typical of the carriages subsequently built by Robert Billinton.
Other details also reflect changes to design that were continued by Billinton, notably the interior planking of the doors (5 shallow rather than 3 deep boards).
Many of the exterior panels still retain original paint and livery details, intact since being withdrawn in 1918; the lining scheme comprised of a single broad line, not the usually paired narrow lines on each moulding [possibly a war time economy].
The carriage was originally fitted with 3 oil lamps; later removed and fitted with 5 gas lamps.
Master drawings and roof/floor plans at 7mm = 1ft; detail drawings at 20mm = 1ft, if printed on A4 with no scaling option set. The broad gold lines indicate the unusual lining scheme.
Roof and floor plan
Step end (all details)
Step end (external features only)
End/side section (all details)
End/side section (external features only)
Door (all details)
Door (external features only)
Large side section (all details)
Large side section (external features only)
Selected photos of exterior:
Overview of best preserved side (east side) – photo; compartments will be lettered A-E along this east side (south to north); followed by lower case e or w to designate east or west; sections and panels between compartments will be designated A/Be etc.
Lower corner (bottom left) of end section Ae – photo; note how the yellow lining continues along the bottom-side.
Lining detail of waist panel of end section Ae – photo.
Lining detail of top panel of end section Ae – photo.
Gilt lettering "Third", shaded dark (black?) on waist panel of door Ae – photo. Photo of detail where bump stop removed, showing earlier paired narrow lining scheme.
Gilt number "328", shaded dark on waist panel of section A/Be - photo; the number was also applied on the waist panel of section D/Ee in the earlier livery but covered in the later livery – photo showing the earlier "328" re-exposed.
Lining detail of waist panel of section A/Be – photo.
Gilt "LBSC", shaded dark on waist panel of section C/De – photo; this style was used from 1915 (E. Gates, 1991, Brighton Circular 17: 94), i.e. it dates the last repaint of the carriage to at least 1915. Photo showing earlier "LB&SCR" partly re-exposed.
Lining detail around top panel of section C/De – photo.
Lining detail around top panel of section D/Ee – photo.
Section D/Ee – photo.
Lining detail around top panel of end section Ee – photo.
Waist panel of end section Ee – photo.
Lower corner (bottom right) of end section Ee – photo.
End after removal of end panels – photo.
Selected photos of interior and roof/lighting fittings:
Door with 5 narrow boards, typical of Billinton – photo.
Roof fittings – photo.
Holder for wooden "bung" when an oil lamp fitted – photo.
Gas lamp base – photo.
Cut out in a partition cross beam, to allow light from oil lamp to reach two compartments – photo.
Cut out in partition beam covered after gas lighting fitted – photo.
Door numbering detail – photo.
Not 328, but brake 3rd 949's framework being completed – video.
Ian M. White