Rails @ Rowsley 2015
Location: Joseph Paxton’s Rowsley Station Building, Peak Shopping Village, Rowsley, DE4 2JE
Saturday 26th September (1000-1700)
Sunday 27th September (1000-1630)
Free entry (donations welcome) and free parking (time limited)
In addition to exhibiting their restoration work at Rowsley and Wirksworth, there will be displays depicting local railway history, and models, including two working model railways.
The attractions planned by the LMSCA and Peak Village will be announced on their web sites. Some additional details follow.
Early History of Rowsley Station
Rowsley Station opened in 1849 as a terminus to a branch line from Ambergate, with intermediate stations at Matlock Bath, Matlock Bridge and Darley; Cromford followed later that year. The railway company was the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway, which later became part of the Midland Railway.
The exhibition will be staged by the LMS Carriage Association in the old terminus building which was designed by Joseph Paxton, better known for his innovative work as head gardener at Chatsworth, and as the designer of the venue for the Great Exhibition of 1851 (the Crystal Palace).
The branch was later extended with the line opening in stages through to Buxton in 1862/3. Thus the old Rowsley terminus station became a goods yard to the new Rowsley through station. Both the through and goods yard sites can be identified on this 1870s map:
Further details of the history of Rowsley Station will be provided at the exhibition by the Rowsley Association.
Railway Models at the Exhibition
7.5” gauge exhibit – LMS 10000 (Ivatt Diesel Recreation Society courtesy Derek Payne)
7mm scale (0 gauge) exhibits – Edgedale Canal Basin, working shuttle, and LMS Carriage & Wagon Stock (Sheffield 0-Gauge Group)
4mm scale (00 gauge) exhibit – LMS Carriages, Wagons and Locomotives, plus a working terminus layout
In the absence of a suitable model based on an LMS area we will be using East Grinstead Town
The original station at East Grinstead opened in 1855 and like Rowsley, the line was extended during the 1860s, relegating the original terminus to the status of a goods yard. East Grinstead Town is modelled on both the 1855 terminus and the 1866 through station and as such depicts a parallel scene to the early history of Rowsley Station.